Monday, January 14, 2008

Evoca for Recording Audio

Last semester I had my students create podcasts. I suggested using Podomatic. Big mistake! So now I am searching for a more user-friendly and reliable tool. I'm going to play with Evoca and see if that's a good alternative.

While exploring Evoca, I discovered that it allows you to put a recording device on your blog so that readers can leave audio comments. I've inserted a recorder on this blog and will see how that works while I continue to explore Evoca for podcasting.

Yeah! I was able to record a comment easily. The only drawback I see is that the audio comments are not available for listening for everyone who visits the blog. It is useful to see others' text comments on blogs and it would also be useful to hear others' audio comments.

I'll keep exploring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for trying Evoca! Yes, you can post the audio comments easily! Go to each comment (they come in as private recordings so you can screen them) and get/copy/paste the HTML code we auto-generate for each recording to place the Flash recorder on your blog, in the location you choose. In addition to Evoca member accounts (Free and Pro/$29.95 year for 180 minutes)we also now have a commercial media platform - Evoca Media Services (API and integrated telephone services) for anyone who wants to tightly integrate our terrific audio content creation features into their blog or website. Discovery Channel is doing it, along with other smaller organizations. See: http://www.evoca.com/services-ems.php and http://www.evoca.com/services-faqs.php. Everyone's voice counts! Murem

Nik Peachey said...

Hi Maryanne

If you are looking for a free tool, I would try Voicethread. It's based around pictures and you can leave audio and / or text comments for others to see / hear. It also allows you to set up accounts for your students without them having to submit an email address, which can be handy for younger students. The URL is: http://voicethread.com/ and you can find a tutorial and some teaching suggestions for it on my blog at: http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2007/09/interactive-presentations.html

Keep up the good work.
Best
Nik Peachey